FLSA Status: Exempt
University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) is seeking to fill a full-time Director of Finance senior leadership position. USAC is a private, nonprofit, university-based study abroad organization headquartered in Reno, Nevada and a consortium comprised of over 30 U.S. universities, including University of Nevada, Reno.
We are seeking an experienced and analytical Finance Director with strong numerical skills to drive our organization’s financial operations and improve financial performance. Duties for the Finance Director will include but not limited to supervising an accounting staff of 11, overseeing internal controls, budgeting, financial analyses, legal, property management, annual insurance, monitoring cash flow and investments and managing tax compliance.
The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, good strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, exceptional numerical proficiency, and strong leadership skills. The noteworthy Finance Director should coordinate financial operations, develop effective financial strategies, guide efforts towards financial stability, monitor all financial activities, promote revenue growth, and ensure compliance with accounting regulations.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Oversight of an Accounting/Finance team of 11 employees who manage accounts receivables, accounts payable, payroll, monthly foreign financials and facilitates the preparation of financial statements and analyses.
- Budget planning and forecasting.
- Provides timely and accurate financial statements and analyses, analysis of budgets to Management, Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
- Oversees audit and tax functions, coordinates activities with external Public Accounting firms and reviews firm performance.
- Ensures compliance with relevant foreign, federal, state, local, and organizational laws, regulations, guidelines, and best practices, including but not limited to tax laws, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and FASB (Financial Accounting Standard Board).
- Reviews and forecasts foreign currency needs.
- Remains up to date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems and internal control measures, compliance and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Reviews and maintains USAC’s insurance coverage.
- Monitors Foreign Associations and corporations.
- Collaborates closely with the Director of Human Resources, especially pertaining to salary and benefits administration.
- Monitors 401k plan and investments
- Oversees USAC’s rental properties
- Develops and implements accounting policies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of seven years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, preferably within a non-profit or study abroad environment
- Strong analytical skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of accounting principles
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Financial reporting
- Board reporting
- Experience with annual external financial audits
- Experience with tax and information reporting to governmental agencies
- Understanding of foreign currencies and exchanges
- Ability to handle confidential information and to work with limited supervision and high motivation.
- Focused, diligent multi-tasker
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, working both independently, as a team, and across departments.
- Patience, honesty, integrity and dedication to the work and mission of USAC
- Interest in and experience with languages, cultures, higher education and international education a plus.
- Experience with fundraising and grants helpful.
This is a full-time position including benefits and paid time off. USAC offers a competitive salary depending on qualifications and experience as well as comprehensive benefits and 401(k) retirement savings program. USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located in the USAC Annex located adjacent to the UNR campus. It will likely start as partially remote (work from home) due to temporary limited office hours because of COVID-19. When office fully re-opens, this position will be based in-office daily Monday-Friday, 8am–5pm in Reno, Nevada. Some remote work may be possible after that date.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.